BayREN is providing zero net energy (ZNE) engineering analysis to support local governments to lead by example in their own facilities. With a focus on municipal buildings that are already funded for construction, BayREN supports city staff, contractors and design teams to identify ZNE efficiency opportunities from both an engineering and cost perspective.
Request ZNE Assistance for your Municipal Project!
ZNE Engineering and Cost Analysis for Municipal Buildings
BayREN is providing engineering analysis to afford local governments with the necessary ground-work analysis to understand cost-effectiveness of ZNE in municipal building types and demonstrate ZNE policy feasibility for municipal building portfolios.
As part of a comprehensive set of services, BayREN’s ZNE engineering services focuses on deep energy reductions and system design to offset both gas and electric energy uses of a site, and full project cost estimates.
BayREN ZNE Menu of Services
Based on your needs, BayREN will customize a scope of work to support your design, engineering and/or contractors to identify additional opportunities for zero net energy strategies and approaches for municipal projects. Please inquire about the availability of stipends for City staff and/or design team for exploring ZNE building strategies.
Technical Assistance Information and Resources
This section provides additional resources related to municipal technical assistance.
- ZNE Technical Assistance Highlights (Presentation from June 14, 2016). Description of BayREN ZNE Engineering Assistance program for cities, including recommended path to ZNE Municipal Buildings and program assistance available.
- 2016 Municipal ZNE: Project Engineering as Reach Code Technical Assistance (Presentation from BayREN ZNE Forum, November 16, 2016). Summary of project successes related to the cities of Berkeley, Hayward and Dublin.
- City of Hayward Adopts Zero Net Energy Goal (Press Release from December 21, 2016). City Council unanimously approved a Resolution establishing a Zero Net Energy Goal for municipal facilities in the City of Hayward.
- Case Study- City of Richmond Public Works Project (Presentation from BayREN Forum, September 26, 2017). An overview of the ZNE Technical Assistance Program and in-depth examination of the City Richmond Public Works project.
- Watch the recorded presentation
- Additional BayREN resources for local governments on achieving ZNE, including sample RFP and OPR language, is available here.
BayREN Support for Local, Regional, and State Climate and Energy Goals
BayREN supports the efforts of local residents, businesses, and governments to help buildings achieve zero net carbon emissions. BayREN seeks to advance this goal consistent with Bay Area local government policies, including building codes and ordinances, climate action and municipal plans, and economic development initiatives. BayREN also supports and recognizes the benefits of similar goals including Zero Net Energy, Zero Net Electricity, Zero Energy Cost Buildings, Zero Energy Districts and other aligned activities.