The BayREN Codes & Standards (C&S) Program is a joint effort of Bay Area cities and counties to achieve full compliance with provisions of the California Energy Code. This ambitious and engaging local program aims to:
- Establish metrics to evaluate compliance with existing energy codes.
- Identify and deliver targeted trainings for those involved in energy code enforcement.
- Accelerate energy code compliance throughout the region.
The C&S Program is a locally driven effort of local governments to reduce energy use in buildings through improved design and construction. The program is administered jointly by each of the nine Bay Area counties and the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG). Funding for the program is provided through the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC).
- Examine existing energy code compliance rates in the Bay Area.
- Assist in the creation and sharing of best practices for increasing compliance with Energy Code and Green Building standards.
- Direct Bay Area building professionals to existing trainings, and create additional trainings where gaps exist.
- Promote “reach codes” that strengthen local agency efforts to improve energy efficiency standards and encourage greater use of renewable and sustainable materials in building construction.
Public sector (local government building and planning department staff)
Chief Building Officials
- Permit Technicians
- Plans Examiners
- Building Inspectors
Private-Sector (permit applicants):
- Energy consultants
The BayREN Codes & Standards team developed an online survey tool, using the Survey MonkeyTM platform, designed to collect information needed to characterize the barriers and best practices associated with improving compliance with the Title 24 Part 6 Energy Code, establish current (baseline) levels of compliance with the 2008 Energy Code, and identify key metrics that can be used by building departments to monitor compliance improvement, beginning with the 2013 Energy Code, effective July 1, 2014. At the end of the four (4) week survey period, all responses were collected within the survey platform and the results were compiled and analyzed. Key findings from the survey can be read here in the BayREN C&S Survey Report.